Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween in Osaka

In Japan, Halloween is usually celebrated the Saturday before Halloween. They don't hand out candy to people, but I did get a piece of candy when I bought beer at a convenience store.

So Saturday was someone's Sayonora party. My friend Kate was heading back to Toronto on the following Monday. We started off drinking at the docks, and didn't realize that tonight was the big Halloween thing. We then started going to a park in American Town (ame-mura), and on our way, realized a lot of Japanese people were dressed up. It was awesome, because they go all out here. My favorite costumes included princess Garnett from FF9, two girls dressed up as white mage and black mage from FF, and a girl in a panda suit, because Panda suits kick ass.

It was absolutely hilarious, I met some Japanese guys (mentioned in the last post) and we were just having fun drinking in the park, enjoying life.

Last night, Halloween, I had a costume. If you don't know, it was Pikachu. Most people don't wear their costumes on Halloween night. On my way to meet friends, I had so many Japanese women wave, watch me walking around, and some would even say "Kawaii" (cute). The younger men would usually smile, or start yelling out "Pikachu!". The funniest reaction by far were the business men and the older women. They would look at me, and look away, but you could tell they were laughing inside. They then kept on walking as if nothing was wrong, that seeing someone dressed up as a popular icon from their culture on any given night was entirely normal. It would be rude to make a deal out of it.

Drinking was pretty uneventful, except that it was the Sayonora party for my housemate, Hugh, and another friend, Dan. Dan drank with us until 5 am, then we had to go home, catch the bus and get on his flight back to the UK. It's really sad seeing everyone leave, even though I've only known them for a short period of time.

You'll all be glad to know however that I got McDonald's breakfast at 5 am, which is probably the after drinking food in the world.

No comments: