Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter

Hey, it's Easter right now, so I want to wish you all a Happy Easter.

This is a warning post to anyone who wants to live abroad

This is a post not so much about culture shock, but more about being away from friends and family. I was fine for Thanksgiving, we had a party in a park in Japan. My birthday and Christmas were good too. I hung out with friends and Christmas day I ate some food at another friend's house. (On a side note, usually my birthday is overshadowed by Christmas, so hanging out with friends on my birthday was awesome) However this easter, nothing was planned. It also occurred that I haven't been home in 6 months and hadn't heard any familiar voices from back home in quite a while.

I won't go into much more details, but it involved me freaking out, having to run to an PC bang (a room where you have time on a computer), looking up phone numbers of friends and family online, putting their phone numbers in my phone and then going back to the bar and trying to call as many people in Canada as I could. I only managed to speak to one person, because I had problems with my phone, but speaking to someone from Canada made all the difference.

When you're surrounded by people, 90% of whom you can't speak to, and another 9.5% of them have foreign accents, it kind of strikes a cord that you're really far away from home.

It would have happened in Japan, Korean, Finland or any other country. I was drinking at the time, but the alcohol wasn't the biggest factor. In fact, I don't think it was a factor at all. I think a freak out of this kind happens to most people, probably everyone and for some reason I thought I was immune to it.

Now I'm going to lighten up the mood. This is a video from an American comedy troupe. They look Korean, so they're probably Korean American. What makes the video especially funny is the accent. I thought they were exaggerated when I watched it, then I went out for dinner with a Korean and I couldn't help but laugh because he actually spoke like this. It is a fairly accurate depiction of the Korean accent. It's alright to laugh. They're swearing in Korean. The accent is very Korean.

Have fun on easter!

EDIT: Watching the video again, I've come to decide that the one with a hat on looks Korean, the other one doesn't so much...

No comments: