Sunday, October 21, 2007

A day in Nara

So I decided that exploring Japan was a good thing to do while I'm still around.

Today I went to Nara. It's just 40 minutes away by train and costs 540 yen. It's a nice tourist spot with a lot of temples and shrines, but best of all it has 1000 deer walking around the city.

The first place we went to was just a path with trees on both sides. We just kept on walking and there were lanterns on each side of us. I read that there are over 3000 lanterns, and they are lit in early February and mid August. There are tiny shrines along the way, and it's just interesting to see how everything's built. At the entrance, there are many deer, but they don't go further into the path.

The deer will come up to you and eat cookies that you can buy anywhere, and then they bow. Yes, that's right, the deer bow. A video will be put up as soon as I can get it to work. They're all over the place, and they're actually quite dirty, but it's still awesome to see deer bow.

There's nice Shinto shrines, but the big attraction is a temple that contains a giant Buddha statue. The statue may not appear to be big in the picture, but in reality it's 15 meters high.

At the end of the night, we climbed a mountain and watched the sun set. It was quite beautiful. After that however, we called it a day and returned home.

They're going to Kyoto tomorrow, but I have a job interview at 2 pm for teaching English in Korea. I will have to go to Kyoto after that or maybe on Tuesday.

2 comments:

shil said...

Hey! You're going to Korea, how awesome. I'm so glad you found a way to keep teaching/traveling in the lands of yellow skin. In my experience, Korean chicks are hotter than Japanese ones anyway... of course, this is based on sample size n=1 hot Korean (and I just can't think of any Japanese girls I know offhand). Yeah, I'm so awesome at experimental design that it hurts sometimes.

Richard D. Chang said...

A bowing deer is awesome.