Saturday, October 6, 2007

Stuff you didn't want to know about Japan, and didn't ask

Hey everyone, so seeing that I'm still in Japan, I thought I'd write this up. So here's a list of questions that you all are dying to ask me, but haven't!

Q: How big is your apartment?
A: Not big, quite small. The stories of small Japanese apartments have been exaggerated however. The apartment is about what you'd get in Toronto, but ever so slightly smaller.

Q: What's the cost of living like?
A: Once again, not as bad as people make it out to be. I've spent 65000 yen in 1 month for food, drinking three or four times a week, and two out of town trips. I still have to pay rent for this apartment, which will be half of everything I pay, but this apartment is overpriced, hence why I'm looking at other apartments in town.

Q: What's Japanese TV like?
A: It's cool. I saw this one show where they do what's called human tetris. There's a wall that advances towards someone with a cut-out of a person, and the person has to make themselves a certain shape to avoid being pushed into a pool of water.

Other awesome shows include a woman dressed up a devil outfit teaching a girl Spanish. She was summoned by the girl of course. My housemate told me he once saw a show where they were teaching English for the abused wife. How to make excuses for bruises and such... yeah...

Q: What's the food like?
A: McDonald's isn't as greasy. There's a 100 yen menu, so it's the perfect place after for having food after the bar. My favorite 100 yen item so far is the McPork.

Q: Seriously, how's the food?
A: Awesome. I have been having mystery dishes. I eat something, don't how what it is, but have fun eating it anyways. So far, I've had Tocuyaki. It's balls with a creamy sauce with pieces of squid. It's disgusting. I don't like squid.

I do however like chicken cartillage. That's right everyone, they also eat the skin, the tail and the beak.

More to come later.

No comments: