Thursday, October 25, 2007

Korea bound

Hey everyone, in case you haven't heard, I accepted a position in Korea. I have one interview with a company in Japan tomorrow, but I doubt I'll get the job, and I doubt I'll accept if offered.

So the main advantage of Korea is that the cost of living will be cheap. I will be making the same amount of money, but because the company's paying for my flight there, my apartment and half my medical insurance, I'll make money. Basically I'll have enough to support a family of 4 comfortably in Korea.

I leave Japan on November 14th. I'm still staying in my apartment because I won't receive any other form of compensation from my current company. Today was the second date for the delayed wages to come in, and now it's all coming on the 29th... so to translate: never.

Now for my awesome subway story. To send out my resume and information for the new job, I went to the subway to get to my destination. I had just walked down the stairs and there was a subway, so I ran to the nearest door and got in just as the doors were closing.

There weren't many seats around, so I stood up. I looked around and saw a lot of people staring at me. Keep in mind that in Japan, staring at foreigners isn't uncommon. You go anywhere, there's at least one Japanese person that will stare at you. It's like they can't believe their eyes that there's a foreigner in their country. It's funny when I'm in a good mood, extremely annoying when I'm in a bad mood. What seemed strange this time however was the number of people staring at me.

An old Japanese man suddenly walks up to me, and stands beside me. He doesn't say anything, and I don't think much about it. He gets off at the first stop.

Between the first and second stop, I still notice people staring at me, including a group of school girls. One even had her mouth wide open in disbelief... like I said, it's not uncommon to be stared at, but this time it was different.

At the second stop, I realized why they were staring. I was standing right beside the door, and I looked down on the ground and saw a big pink square that said something in Japanese, then in English: "Women only car".

I stared in disbelief for a moment, and then started looking around the cart to see if this was true. All I saw were women. The old guy who stood next to me did so because he wanted to be beside another guy. The doors closed, and I noticed on the subway door a little sign that says "Women only", then started blushing. The school girls started laughing.

The next stop I exited the subway and went to the next car.

No comments: